Saturday, June 23, 2012

Welcome to the Blog!

Welcome readers, writers, and lovers of words. This is a place where we can connect, share stories, and maybe even blow off a little steam.
Since this is my first post, I’ll give a little background. I’m a jack of all trades and master of none. I've worn many hats: student, construction worker, factory supervisor, soldier, teacher, and public official, but I've always been a writer. I increasingly used writing as an outlet after serving in the Iraq War. The more I wrote, the more I wanted to write. Eventually, a book (very slowly) began to take form. I hired an editor and set about seriously studying the craft. After much learning, frustration, and umpteen rewrites, the novel, Ghosts of Babylon, was finally finished.
My editor referred me to a top NYC agent and, incredibly, he signed me! In spite of the ninety-nine to one odds, I got an agent. I couldn’t believe it. But there was still one last hurdle to clear – finding a publisher.
Most of the big houses said the same thing. Good story. “Very authentic. Love the author’s strong voice. But we just can’t market this project right now.” Bottom line: No publisher.
After a few days and a lot of ice cream, I started reading blogs of authors like J.A. Konrath (http://jakonrath.blogspot.com) and others. I learned that many successful fiction authors like him, Vince Flynn, and E.L. James couldn’t find a publisher either and self-published.
So that’s what I’m going to do. Ghosts of Babylon will be on Amazon.com in a few months in paperback and e-book. I hope you enjoy it. If you do, please post a great review. If not, skip the review and use the book to prop up a wobbly table.

No comments:

Post a Comment